Household goods can be recycled at the following locations:
- Clothes Horse accepts designer and brand name clothing and accessories on consignment.
- Comcare accepts reusable, gently used household items in good condition.
- Emergency Shelter accepts towels, sheets, blankets, baby items, and personal care products.
- Everybody's Everything accepts funky, antique, vintage clothing and costumes for resale.
- Freecycle: help local people reduce and keep good items out of the landfill.
- Goodwill accepts gently used clothing, household goods, toys, small working appliances, cars and other vehicles, working and non-working computers. Donations are tax deductible and can be dropped off at any Goodwill retail stores listed below:
- Benton Harbor Store
- New Buffalo Donation Center
- Niles Store
- Paw Paw Store
- Items not accepted at Goodwill: Large appliances (stoves, freezers), furniture in poor condition/in need of repair, food and perishable product, used automotive parts, tires, batteries, stained or torn bed springs/mattresses.
- Please direct large quantity donations (truckload) to Goodwill Industries corporate office location.
- Harbor Habitat ReStore accepts new or used recyclable flooring, doors, windows, carpeting, electrical, plumbing materials, roofing materials, lighting, kitchen and bath fixtures, and appliances. Items must be in great and reusable condition and in working order. They also accept scrap metal.
- Kids' Kollection accepts on consignment toys, clothing, books, shoes, coats, etc. for newborn through teen as well as baby equipment and maternity clothing.
- Kirby's Thrift Store
- Lighthouse Attic Resale Shop accepts gently used clothing for men, women and children; household items, furniture, books and baby items.
- Mosaic Resale and Resource Center accepts clothing, household goods, working small appliances, toys, etc.
- Neighbor to Neighbor accepts clothing, non-perishable food, books, small appliances, kitchen items, furniture, bedding, fabric and craft supplies.
- Nuway Thrift Store accepts clothing and household items; no large appliances.
- Parritt's Trading Post: Buy and sell household items (no clothes or appliances).
- Salvation Army Thrift Store accepts new or gently used clothing, furniture and household goods. For pick up service, call the Adult Rehabilitation Center at 574-288-2539 and ask for Dispatch.
- Six Degrees Resale Shop: Benefits the Emergency Shelter, Inc. and accepts new or like-new kitchen and household items, furniture, working appliances, jewelry, antiques, bedding and linens, books, clothes, and more. Drop off items at the store. Call 269-927-6060 to arrange pickups.
- World Mission Thrift Store accepts clothing and household items.
Tips on Reducing Household Waste
- Second hand stores, pawn shops, antique stores and garage sales are great places to sell unwanted items or buy used items at low prices.
- Renting equipment that you may only use occasionally is a great way reduce waste in the long run, conserve space in the garage, and save money.