1. I want to start my own small business. Where do I begin?
There are several choices available to you:
1. Cornerstone Small Business Center at (269) 925-6100
2. Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center located at the Western Michigan University Southwest Campus in Benton Harbor (LMC Campus) at (269) 934-1524 or (269) 934-1526
3. Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center located at the Southwestern Michigan College M-TEC Campus in Niles at (269) 687-5640
2. Why would I want to locate my business in Southwest Michigan?
1. Brownfield Redevelopment
2. Business Support
3. Community Development Block Grants
4. Industrial Development Revenue Bonds
5. Job Training Grants
6. Regulatory & Licensing Assistance
7. Renaissance Zones
8. Revolving Loan Fund
9. Tax Abatements
10. Workforce Development
***Click here to see our brochure "Ten Reasons to do Business in Michigan's Great Southwest!***
3. What is a Revolving Loan Fund?
The purpose of a Revolving Loan Fund is to enable funding of manufacturing projects within Berrien County in order to create and/or retain jobs.
***Click here to see our brochure "Revolving Loan Fund"***
4. Is Michigan a Right-to-Work State?
No, Michigan is a work-at-will state.
5. Does Berrien County have a lot of Union shops?
No, while Berrien County does have some Unions, the vast majority of businesses do not have Unions. In fact, only 12% of all Michigan businesses are union, with many of those companies located on the East side of the state.
6. How can I find available buildings or land in Berrien County?
You can easily access available buildings and property in Berrien County by viewing our Real Estate pages.
7. I have industrial and/or commercial properties to sell in Berrien County. Is there a free service I can use?
Within our webpages, we will list all non-residential properties available in Berrien County. Please contact Jennifer Arent with the Berrien County Community Development Department at (269) 983-7111 x8788.
If you did not find the answer to your question, please contact us by calling (269) 983-7111 Ext. 8617, send us an email, or visit us at 701 Main Street, St. Joseph, Michigan 49085.