Concealed Pistol License Information
Effective December 1, 2015
To apply for a new CPL, you must be a Berrien County resident and you should:
- Obtain a Concealed Pistol License Guide containing the application form from the County Clerk’s office at:
- the Berrien County Administration Center; 701 Main Street; St. Joseph, MI -or-
- the Niles South County Building; 1205 N. Front Street; Niles, MI
- Complete the mandatory training class and receive a certificate.
Bring the completed, unsigned application form, your training class certificate, a valid driver's license, and $100.00 application fee to the County Clerk's office. Photos are no longer necessary. If you check the box on the application to be exempt, you must show proof that you are eligible.
- Once the $100.00 application fee is paid, take your receipt to the Berrien County Sheriff’s Department in St. Joseph for fingerprinting and a background check. (Fingerprints are taken Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm for a $15.00 fee).
- A background/reference check will be conducted on each applicant. Once you are approved by MSP, your permit will be mailed to you. Expect approximately 45 days for processing time.
To renew your permit, you still need to complete an application and submit it to the County Clerk's Office along with a valid driver's license and a $115.00 renewal fee. If your license expired over a year ago, you will need a new training certificate and fingerprinting. Once you are approved by MSP, your permit will be mailed to you. Please expect an approximate 45-day processing time for all permits.
Michigan Concealed Pistol License Law
For more information, please visit the Michigan State Police website at www.michigan.gov/msp.