Berrien County Legal Services
901 Port Street
P.O. Box E
St. Joseph, Michigan 49085
Phone: 269-983-6363 or 1-800-310-2798
Map & Driving Directions
Legal Services provides lawyers and legal advice for those that can't afford it themselves. You are eligible for help if you are a low income resident of Berrien County or a senior (age 60+) in either Berrien, Cass, or Van Buren Counties.
Types of Cases:
- Defense of eviction, forfeiture, foreclosure.
- Illegal or constructive eviction by action of a landlord in cutting off utilities, changing locks, etc.
- Utility shutoffs where there is an issue other than non-payment by tenant or homeowner.
- Representation with other agencies.
- Representation in administrative hearings.
- Representation in appeals of administrative decisions through administrative or court proceedings.
- Provide legal services in preserving the existing family.
- Insure safety and stability of family members at risk of domestic violence or child abuse.
To provide legal assistance to persons over 60 years of age which will assist them in maintaining independence in their own homes if possible.
Fees and Costs
There are no attorney fees for the work which the attorney does for you. This means that you do not have to pay the attorney for the time he/she spends working on your case. You will however have to pay out of pocket expenses such as court filing fees, fees to the sheriff for serving papers, costs of publishing notices in the newspaper, fees for obtaining copies of public records, etc.