How to Split or Combine Property
This section is responsible for the maintenance of the property descriptions, taxpayer name and address records, property maps and aerial photography for all 39 local assessing units (22 townships, 8 cities and 9 villages).
Property Split and Combination Information
Effective August 3, 1998, there will be two basic fees:
- A flat fee of $100.00 per document, survey or authorized request coded as part of an existing tax identification number, which initiates or initiated the need for (a) new description/s because the property is being divided or split for tax purposes (EFFECTIVE NOV 1, 2006)
- A flat fee of $35.00 per combination requested by the municipality or by the taxpayer, which initiates or initiated the need for a new description because the property is being combined for tax purposes. All combinations must have proper municipality approval before it will be processed. All combinations must have the exact same taxpayer(s) on each parcel involved before it is processed. (EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2005)
- A fee of $50.00 per subdivision lot, condominium unit or remainder of a parcel will be charged when Berrien County is requested or required to prepare (a) new property description/s because the property is being divided or split for tax purposes (EFFECTIVE NOV 1, 2006).
The cost will be assessed upon the Grantor or other person requesting or initiating the new description.
The following new land descriptions are exempt from the above cost assessments:
- Division to correct incorrect boundary lines;
- Alley or street vacations;
- Division when a river changes course;
- Division by the Road Commission or Michigan Department of Transportation when no remuneration has been provided to the property owner;
- Court ordered splits; and
- Division occurring by eminent domain; and
- Documents involving a name change only on platted lots or condominium units that are recorded but not yet on the tax rolls.
The Proper Steps Needed to Split or Combine your Property:
- Splitting Properties: Provide $100.00 to the GIS Mapping Department if you are splitting your property. This fee covers ALL splits desired at the same time of your request. If you decide to split your property at a later date, another charge of $100.00 will be incurred.
- Combining Properties: Provide $35.00 to the GIS Mapping Department if combining two or more parcels. Please note that all parcels must have identical taxpayer information, be in the same school district, be contiguous, and have written approval from your municipality to combine. If you decide to combine additional properties at a later date, another charge of $35.00 will be incurred.
- Splitting & Combining Properties: Provide $100.00 to the GIS Mapping Department if you are splitting & combining your properties. This fee covers ALL splits & combinations desired at the same time of your request. If you decide to split & combine your properties at a later date, another charge of $100.00 will be incurred.
- Seek written approval from your local municipality.
- Provide a legal survey or new property descriptions for all new parcel configurations.
- Drop off or mail your written approval, new descriptions, and fees to the Berrien County GIS Mapping Department by the last business day of the current year. New property numbers will be assigned and become active on January 1 of the following tax year.
Department of Geographic Information Systems
& Land Description:
Hours: 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Phone:(269) 983-7111 Ext. 8300
Fax: (269) 982-8611