Home >

Civil Court FAQs

Q: How do I file a Small Claim?

First read the The Small Claims Booklet, complete the form according to the instructions attached to the form, and then file the claim with court.

Q: How do I evict a relative or friend from my house?

Follow the procedures in the Landlord Tenant Booklet under Termination of Tenancy.

Q: How do I stop a garnishment against my wages?

Complete the form "Motion for Installment Payments". There is a 14-day waiting period after the motion is mailed. If there are no objections, the order is entered on the 15th day and the garnishment is suspended. If there is an objection filed, you may have to come to court for a hearing on your motion.  http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/courtforms/

Q: How do I collect a judgement that was entered in my favor?

The steps are outlined in the Small Claims Booklet. These instructions apply to any money judgment that is entered in the Civil Division of the Trial Court, whether it is Small Claims, Landlord Tenant, or General Civil.

Q: An officer just served a Summons and Complaint on me. What do I do?

Read #2 on the front of the Summons. An "Answer" to the Summons and Complaint must be filed with the Civil Division of the Court within 21 days of the date you were served. You must also serve a copy of your Answer on the opposing party/attorney.

Q: How do I transfer a vehicle title when the title holder has been convicted under the Repeat Offender Law?

Before you file an Ex Parte Petition with the Court, Petitioner and Transferee will need to:

  1. Complete #4 on the Petition form with sufficiently detailed reasons for the request to transfer title, including place of employment if transferee is employed, and disclosure of any other vehicles in the family.
  2. Provide a copy of the title showing any liens with the name of the lienholder on the title.
  3. If there is a lien on the title you must have written approval from the lienholder allowing the transfer.
  4. Provide a copy of both petitioner's and transferee's driving record obtained from the Secretary of State Office.
After your Ex Parte Order is entered the Transferee will need to give the Secretary of States Office a certified copy of this order.

FORM A: Ex Parte Petition and Order (one vehicle)
FORM B: Ex Parte Petition and Order (two vehicles)

Q: Where can I find additional court-related forms on line?

Many commonly used court forms may be found at:  http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/courtforms/


Digital County Survey Winner
Berrien County Courthouse
811 Port Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Berrien County Administration Center
701 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Privacy Statement     Contact Us     Site Map
Last Updated 4/22/2016   
Copyright 2016 Berrien County. All Rights Reserved.

General Telephone: (269) 983-7111
From Niles, Buchanan, Galien: (269) 684-5274
From Three Oaks, New Buffalo, Lakeside, Union Pier: (269) 756-9571

Link to Benefits.gov Link to Michigan.gov Link to FirstGov.gov