Home >

Family Court

Q: Where do I get divorce papers to file in proper person?

You can contact an attorney, or purchase The Michigan Divorce Book from a local bookstore. You can also purchase a divorce packet by calling the Self Help Legal Resource Center at 269-983-7111, x8793 or go to http://courts.mi.gov.

Q: How much does it cost to file for divorce?

To open a case without children $175.00. With children $255.00. This is just a filing fee. There may be other costs incurred throughout the proceeding.

Q: How do I file for a change in child support, visitation, custody, domicile?

You must file a motion with the courts and request a hearing. You can get forms to do this from the Friend of the Court or Family Division of the County Clerk's office. The cost to file a motion varies from $20.00 to $100.00, depending on the circumstances of the case.

Q: Where can I get a copy of my Judgment of Divorce and what is the cost?

You can obtain a copy from the County Clerk's office. The cost is $1.00 per page and $10.00 for certification.


Digital County Survey Winner
Berrien County Courthouse
811 Port Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Berrien County Administration Center
701 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Privacy Statement     Contact Us     Site Map
Last Updated 4/22/2016   
Copyright 2016 Berrien County. All Rights Reserved.

General Telephone: (269) 983-7111
From Niles, Buchanan, Galien: (269) 684-5274
From Three Oaks, New Buffalo, Lakeside, Union Pier: (269) 756-9571

Link to Benefits.gov Link to Michigan.gov Link to FirstGov.gov