Home >

Trial Court Enforcement FAQ's

Q: How can I make a payment?

At the payment windows located on the 1st floor of the St. Joseph Courthouse. (cash, certified check or money order)

Payment window hours are 8:30-4:45

By mail (certified check or money order)
Berrien County Trial Court Finance Office
811 Port Street
St. Joseph, Mi 49085

By Credit Card or Western Union see the Pay Online webpage for further information.

By Drop Box located on the North side of the St. Joseph courthouse facing the river.

Q: I thought doing time in Jail/Prison took care of my balance owed?

Assessment of costs is in addition to incarceration.  Jail & Prison time is not done in place of paying costs.

Q: This is over 7 years old, how can you still try to collect?

Assessments made by the court are due until paid in full.  They do not go away as there is no statute of limitations in Michigan.

Q: I filed for Bankruptcy, why do I still owe this?

Bankruptcy does not erase court debts.

Q: How can I get an Order to Remit Prisoner Funds Cancelled?

The only way an Order to Remit Prisoner Funds will be cancelled is to have the case paid in full.

Q: How do I know how much the prison has taken/paid?

Questions regarding the withholding of funds by the prison(s) must be directed to the prison.

Q: I am a victim who has restitution coming how/when will I get my money.

If defendant makes a payment to restitution in which the victim is entitled the restitution is disbursed monthly on the third Thursday of the month. It is disbursed by check and mailed via United States Postal Service. We cannot do direct deposit and it cannot be put on your US Bank debit card (child support).

Q: Why is my balance higher?

A license suspension fee of $45.00 may have been added if not paid timely.

A 20% late fee is assessed once after costs are added to the case and no payment has been received for a period of 56 days.


Digital County Survey Winner
Berrien County Courthouse
811 Port Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Berrien County Administration Center
701 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Privacy Statement     Contact Us     Site Map
Last Updated 4/22/2016   
Copyright 2016 Berrien County. All Rights Reserved.

General Telephone: (269) 983-7111
From Niles, Buchanan, Galien: (269) 684-5274
From Three Oaks, New Buffalo, Lakeside, Union Pier: (269) 756-9571

Link to Benefits.gov Link to Michigan.gov Link to FirstGov.gov