Home >

Community Development FAQs

Q: I want to start my own small business. Where do I begin?

1.  Cornerstone Small Business Center at (269) 925-6100

2.  Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center located at the Western Michigan University Southwest Campus in Benton Harbor (LMC Campus) at (269) 934-1524 or (269) 934-1526

3.  Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center located at the Southwestern Michigan College M-TEC Campus in Niles at (269) 687-5640

Q: Why would I want to locate my business in Southwest Michigan?

1. Brownfield Redevelopment
2. Business Support
3. Community Development Block Grants
4. Industrial Development Revenue Bonds
5. Job Training Grants
6. Regulatory & Licensing Assistance
7. Renaissance Zones
8. Revolving Loan Fund
9. Tax Abatements
10. Workforce Development

***"Ten Reasons to do Business in Michigan's Great Southwest Brochure***

Q: What is a Revolving Loan Fund?

The purpose of a Revolving Loan Fund is to enable funding of manufacturing projects within Berrien County in order to create and/or retain jobs.

***"Revolving Loan Fund Brochure"***

Q: Is Michigan a Right-to-Work State?

No, Michigan is a work-at-will state.

Q: Does Berrien County have a lot of Union shops?

No, while Berrien County does have some Unions, the vast majority of businesses do not have Unions. In fact, only 12% of all Michigan businesses are union, with many of those companies located on the East side of the state.

Q: How can I find available buildings or land in Berrien County?

You can easily access information on available buildings and property in Berrien County by viewing our Real Estate listings.

Q: I have industrial and/or commercial properties to sell in Berrien County. Is there a no-cost service I can use?

Berrien County Community Development provides a listing of non-residential properties available in the County at no cost to owners or realtors. Please contact Jennifer Arent with the Berrien County Community Development Department at (269) 983-7111 x8788.


Digital County Survey Winner
Berrien County Courthouse
811 Port Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Berrien County Administration Center
701 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Privacy Statement     Contact Us     Site Map
Last Updated 4/22/2016   
Copyright 2016 Berrien County. All Rights Reserved.

General Telephone: (269) 983-7111
From Niles, Buchanan, Galien: (269) 684-5274
From Three Oaks, New Buffalo, Lakeside, Union Pier: (269) 756-9571

Link to Benefits.gov Link to Michigan.gov Link to FirstGov.gov