Home >

Circuit Court FAQs

Q: What are the various Circuit Court fees?

  • Open a file - $150.00 At time of filing all motions and petitions are covered under the $150.00 fee.
  • Motion and Petitions - $20.00 (one or more may be filed on the same day in the same case for one $20.00 fee)
  • Garnishment - $15.00 (each writ)
  • Request & Order to Seize Property - $15.00
  • Subpoena ( judgment debtor ) - $15.00
  • Jury Demand - $85.00
  • Copies - $1.00 per page
  • Certified copies - $13.00 for certification and $1.00 for each copied page
  • Exemplified copies - $13.00 for exemplification and $1.00 for each copied page

Q: How do I get a restricted driver's license?

A restricted drivers license can be obtained through the Circuit Court. There is $150.00 filing fee.

Q: How do I transfer a vehicle title (repeat offender law)?

Before you file your ex-parte petition with the court petitioner/transferee will need:

  1. Detailed sufficient reasons for the transfer including place of employment if transferee is employed.
  2. Are there any other cars in the family?
  3. Copy of title showing any liens and indicate the name on the title.
  4. If there is a lien on the title you must have written approval from lien holder allowing the transfer.
  5. Copy of both petitioners/transferees driving records. (From the Secretary of State Office).
  6. There is a $150 filing fee.

Q: How to get a civil or criminal record check and how much is it?

You must fill out the required form and pay a $10.00 (effective 1/2/02) fee, upon request. If mailed please include self addressed, stamped envelope.

Q: How do I get a contractor's lien?

You start a contractor's lien at the Register of Deeds office.

Q: Are there forms that I could use for Circuit Court lawsuits, family and civil cases?

Certain forms are pre-printed. For example, summons, garnishments, some judgements, answer forms, and certain motions. Attorneys draft most of the documents that are filed in Circuit Court. You may go to your local library or try Target Business Forms at 1-800-258-0258.

Q: If filing in proper person, how do I get started opening a new case?

Please refer to the Michigan Rules of Court publisher - West Group. It is recommended to seek an attorney. We can not give out legal advice.

Q: How do I file an appeal regarding a MESC (unemployment) decision?

An appeal regarding the MESC is filed in the Circuit Court. There are no fees required. You may open it with a complaint and summons through an attorney. If in proper person proceed according to Michigan Court Rules. We cannot give you legal advice. We are not attorneys

Q: What years are stored in the warehouse, what years are stored at the courthouse?

Circuit Court Civil files stored at the warehouse: 1835 - 2002 (warehouse not open to public); 2003 - present stored at the Courthouse.

Q: Do I need an Attorney?

You are not required to have an attorney, however due to the complexity of the Circuit Court, it is best to get an attorney. It is always recommended to seek advice from an attorney. WE DO NOT GIVE OUT LEGAL ADVICE.

Q: How much does it cost to get a Personal Protection Order?

There is no charge.

Q: Where can I get a copy of my Judgment of Divorce and what is the cost?

You can obtain a copy from the Family Division of the County Clerk's office. The cost is $1.00 per page. If you need it certified and sealed the cost is an additional $13.00 (effective 1/2/02).

Q: What constitutes a Circuit Court case?

Criminal: all criminal cases start in District Court. If a criminal case is determined to be a felony, it is then bound over into Circuit Court. All misdemeanor cases stay in District Court.

Civil: District Court civil cases are damages under $25,000. Circuit Court civil cases are damages over $25,000.

Family: a domestic case is actually considered a civil matter, however due to the domestic/family issues these cases are filed in the Family Division. All Family Division cases are at Circuit level which include: divorce, support, custody, paternity, personal protection orders, juvenile cases.

Q: When will I know if my PPO has been approved?

The County Clerk's Office makes every effort to process PPO petitions within 48 hours.  When you deliver your completed petition to the Clerk's Office you will be given a card with a hotline number to call.  If your case is approved, the case number on the card will be recorded on the hotline.  If your case is denied, you will be notified by mail as to the Court's decision.

Q: If my PPO is approved, how will I have it served?

The packet including the petition also includes a sheet with complete instructions regarding the service of your PPO. 

Q: What happens if the PPO is violated?

Contact the police immediately to report the violation.   

The respondent must come appear in Court if arrested.  If the person is not arrested for the violation, you may come in to either of the County Clerk's office locations referenced above and ask for a "Motion to Show Cause" form.  If approved, the court will hold a hearing with regards to the violation.

The Court may jail the repondent if found guilty of violating the terms of the PPO.  The sentence may be up to 93 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $500.00.


Digital County Survey Winner
Berrien County Courthouse
811 Port Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Berrien County Administration Center
701 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085
Privacy Statement     Contact Us     Site Map
Last Updated 4/22/2016   
Copyright 2016 Berrien County. All Rights Reserved.

General Telephone: (269) 983-7111
From Niles, Buchanan, Galien: (269) 684-5274
From Three Oaks, New Buffalo, Lakeside, Union Pier: (269) 756-9571

Link to Benefits.gov Link to Michigan.gov Link to FirstGov.gov